2018 SPRING Semester General Chemistry I
1. Course : General Chemistry I (CH101) [lecture: Experiment: Credit = 3:0:3]
2. Lecture (Location: Creative Learning Bldg., E11)
3. Summary of Lecture
o Introducing fundamental concepts of chemistry for all major undergraduates
o Topics of quantum chemcal theory, phases, thermodynamics and equilibrium
4. Material for Teaching:
-Main: Principles of Modern Chemistry, 7th ed, Oxtoby/Gillis/Campion (Brooks/Cole)
-Auxiliary: Chemical Principles, 7th ed, Atkins/Jones/Laverman (W.H. Freeman)
5. General Guidelines
2) There are mandatory Quiz Sessions led by a Teaching Assistant (TA) 7:00 to 7:45pm on Mondays, after the full coverage of each chapter in the class. The quiz covers the chapter lectured in the previous week(s).
3) There are Practice Sessions led by TAs 7:50 to 8:30 pm on Mondays. This Practice Sessions are not mandatory and only those students who need extra discussion and problem solving need to participate.
4) The grades will be given based on the following policy, and will be managed centrally.
Evaluation Criteria: 95-100 pts: A+, 90-95 pts: A0, 85-90 pts: A-, 80-85 pts: B+, 75-80 pts: B0, 70-75 pts: B-,
65-70 pts: C+, 60-65 pts: C0, 55-60 pts: C-, 50-55 pts: D+, 45-50 pts: D0, 40-45 pts: D-,
0-40 pts: F
a) Mid-term Exam: 40 pts
b) Final Exam: 40 pts
c) Quiz: 15 pts
d) Attendance & Attitude: 5 pts (1-pt deduction for each missing class and unacceptable attitude; can be negative)
6. Lecture Schedule with Quiz and Practice Sessions